+ 3300 Current car brands in current production
Our selection criteria for our database:
- Cars developed by Universities (World Solar Challenge, Formula Student, Baja Sae, Research projects ...)
- Hand craft vehicles developed without commercial intention
- Vehicles with more than nine seats. : Some Jeepneys are included because they also manufacture short vehicles, although they are unusual
- Handlebar vehicles except rickshaws and some cargo vehicles. Trikes are excluded
- Vehicles with more than four wheels (except some big suvs). Tracked vehicles are also excluded
- Vehicles in which the driver's position is straddled
- Cyclo-car, velocar, gravity cars, diwheels and unycicles
- Racing teams that define themselves as their own brand after some modifications. Racing brands based on an existing model are not allowed in the database
- Military vehicles like recognition vehicles or small tanks. Humvees and APC are allowed, but always unarmed and, if it's possible, a civilian version
- Any kind of tractor, construction vehicle, wheeled tourist trains, or agricultural vehicle
- Service vehicles such as road sweepers, airport vehicles and vehicles designed to run on railroad tracks.
- Golf carts, even high-end carts
- Industries that assemble vehicles, so they are not considered production plants.
- Similarly, there are no included racing modifiers, nor those that extend the off-road capabilities of a vehicle.
- Manufacturers or suppliers of components.
- They are not considered subsidiary brands of the own brand, such as Volkswagen Brazil or Ford Australia
Nor are included new companies created in other countries to licensed manufacturer.
- Brands that only provide engineering services to other brands.
- Tuning, modifiers are not included.
- Similarly, they are not considered official modifiers,
Only Alpina, RAM and RUF are automakers, and there are recognized as an independent brand Alpine, the famous Renault modifier has been included because they are manufacturing independent racing models.
- Manufacturers of vehicle chassis or fiberglass body kits.
An example is the Lightning Chassis company that only designs the chassis, or the company CTS Chassis that does it for vehicles Nascar. Many Sprint companies have not been included, such as Eagle Sprint, Maxim Racing Chassis or LeftHander because they only manufacture the chassis and don't offer the complete or semi-complete vehicle. Another example is Bembo Fab and Benson Brothers that manufacture touring vehicles for the SCCA championships.
- Vehicles that only transform vehicles into limos or armor vehicles, as well as any other type of functional modification, such as monster trucks
- Brands that only convert the vehicle into electric, such as Ecotricity with its Nemesis model. Another example, among many, is Phoenix Motors, a brand that is gaining a lot of strength and despite it is being considered as a brand, it is ruled out because they converts a Ssangyong into an electric car.
- Historical brands that only provide restoration services or spare parts are not included. They are included if the provides the complete body and chassis. For example Deep Sanderson or Colchester are still active, but only offering support to these vehicles. It is not considered as a current automotive brand, as it only supplies parts to classic vehicles and is far from intending to manufacture a vehicle. If it is a brand with a great historical importance can be considered only if it maintains activity, because it is more likely to produce a vehicle again. There are only a few exceptions considered
- Some few running projects
One of them is that they have a team behind them, the brands that don't have a formal working group established are much more likely to be excluded. The progress of the project is also considered, and it is not enought if the brand have only a couple of digital renders of a model. It is also considered the company's track.
If the project denotes a good credibility as a possible future brand, a sample of good faith is given and it's added as a current brand.
Automakers that are not in current production if they are at least in the process of development of some automobile are also included